Best practices to improve your headshot
Before we dive into best practices to improve your headshot, I would also like to mention that is is key to update it every two years. For instance, I see countless people using an old headshot for casting calls. I can not press how frustrating this can be for the casting director pitching to a client to the show up day for action. Please make sure to update your headshot every two years so not to waste anyone time. It is also key to prepare yourself for a headshot so that you not only put your best forward but so that you nail it perfectly for an additional two years forward.
1. Dress appropriately: Wear clothing that is appropriate for your industry and the type of job you are looking for. Avoid flashy patterns and colors that can distract from your face.
2. Pay attention to grooming: Make sure your hair, makeup, and facial hair are well-groomed and tidy. This can make a big difference in how you look in your headshot.
3. Choose a neutral background: A neutral background can help keep the focus on your face and prevent any distractions.
4. Use natural lighting: Natural lighting can be very flattering and help create a soft, natural look for your headshot.
5. Practice your facial expressions: Practice different facial expressions in front of a mirror to find your most flattering and natural look.
6. Relax and be yourself: Try to relax and be yourself during your headshot session. This can help you look more natural and approachable in your photo.
7. Choose the right pose: Find a pose that feels natural and comfortable for you. Avoid stiff or awkward poses that can make you look uncomfortable or unnatural.
8. Hire a professional photographer: A professional photographer can help you get the best lighting, angles, and overall quality for your headshot.